Day 8

Had a late night tonight but I managed to squeeze 15 minutes into a new song, from the book of Ghibli animation soundtracks. This song I'm not familiar with from Valley Of The Wind has a much easier pattern to recognise, and I find that I can sight read quite well one hand at a time. Yet I'm still dumbfounded as soon as I put both hands together. I'd have completely forgotten what I had just figured out with one hand and I had to read from scratch if I try to play with both hands.

It's a struggle and at the same time an interesting realisation. Somehow it tells me that, if I treat my tactile information from both hands at once as something that's different from when my hands operate separately, then I'll be on the right track to improving my sight reading when I play with both hands.

Our body coordination can be such funny and magical feelings. I see why typing on a computer keyboard is different from playing on a piano keyboard - you only ever hit one key at a time on a computer, even if you type very fast, unlike piano where you're constantly using both hands simultaneously, no matter how slow. I do struggle if I try any hand/finger exercises that utilise both hands at the same time.

If you see this and have any ideas to improve my ambidexterity, please feel free to comment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 7

Day 4